Christantus Uche has undergone successful surgery on the serious knee injury that is expected to keep the Super Eagles midfielder out for the entire 2026/27 season.
The 23-year-old underwent the procedure in Lyon, France, after suffering the injury during Getafe’s pre-season friendly against AS Monaco on August 6.
Getafe confirmed that the operation proceeded normally and as planned, providing an important first positive development for Uche after the setback brought his preparations for the new season to an abrupt halt.
“Christantus Uche has undergone successful surgery in Lyon as a result of the serious knee injury he suffered in the match against AS Monaco on August 6,” Getafe said in a statement.
The procedure was carried out under the supervision of Dr Christofer Oyola, head of Getafe’s medical department, and Álvaro García Zudaire, head of the club’s physiotherapy services.
With the operation now completed, Uche’s attention turns to the next and potentially much longer phase of his recovery.

Getafe confirmed that the midfielder has immediately entered the rehabilitation process and will receive the club’s full support throughout his recovery.
“Starting today, the player begins his rehabilitation process, with the full support and guidance of the club,” the Spanish side said.
The club also pledged to provide Uche with the resources required to support his rehabilitation and expressed its encouragement as he begins the difficult journey back to fitness.
The surgery represents a significant milestone, but the Nigerian still faces a lengthy period away from competitive football.
Uche is expected to miss the entire 2026/27 season, turning what had been an opportunity to re-establish himself at Getafe into a year focused almost entirely on recovery.
Readmore: Four days after WAFCON triumph, here’s what Motsepe told Cameroon’s Lionesses
The timing makes the injury particularly difficult for Uche. The midfielder returned to Getafe after spending the previous season on loan at Crystal Palace, where regular first team football proved difficult to secure.
He had gone back to Spain hoping to restart his career and establish himself more firmly in Getafe coach José Bordalás’ plans.
The Nigerian later described the setback as one of the toughest moments of his career, acknowledging the emotional difficulty of being forced away from the sport that has become both his profession and passion.
He nevertheless vowed to approach the rehabilitation process with strength, patience and determination.
CLICK HERE TO JOIN ATHLETIC NG WHATSAPP CHANNEL NOW!
The operation in Lyon has gone according to plan. The next chapter is rehabilitation, the long process of rebuilding his fitness and eventually returning to the pitch.